The number of deaths in an attack on an Afghan hospital that killed babies and nurses has risen to 24, a health official said on Wednesday.
Three armed men stormed a maternity home in Kabul on Tuesday when parents brought infants and children to appointments.
The attackers were eventually killed in a protracted clearance operation in which heavily armed Afghan security forces carried infants away from the scene – at least one wrapped in a blood-soaked blanket.
Afghan Deputy Health Minister Waheed Majroh said Wednesday that the attack killed at least 24 people and injured another 16. Authorities previously said 14 people died.
No group has yet claimed the attack, but President Ashraf Ghani has accused both the Taliban and the Islamic group.
Ghani also accused the two groups of a suicide attack in the troubled east of the country, which took place shortly after the hospital attack.
The suicide bomber blew himself up in the middle of a funeral service and killed at least 24 mourners.
The Islamic State called for the bombing.
After the attacks, Ghani ordered the Afghan armed forces to resume strikes against the Taliban, which the militant group had promised to counter.
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)