With the Covid-19 situation, the job market has experienced a downward spiral, and graduates have a hard time securing a job.
Thanks to a new $ 100 million internship program, young graduates in Singapore can apply for more than 4,000 job offers from June 1.
More than 280 private and public sector companies will offer these positions, including Singtel, DBS Bank, Surbana Jurong, the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University.
Singtel in particular will offer more than 500 internships in functions such as engineering, finance, communication and marketing, in which the interns will complete four to twelve months.
The SGUnited Traineeships Program, announced last month by Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat, offers up to 8,000 internship opportunities in various sectors this year for graduates from the Institute of Technical Education (ITE), universities of applied sciences, universities and other educational institutions.
The internship lasts up to 12 months and the interns receive training allowance for the duration of the internship, which is co-financed by the government and the host company.
80% of the training allowance is financed by the government
The government will fund 80% of the training allowance, while the host company will fund the remaining 20%.
The monthly training allowance awarded to each trainee may vary depending on the scope of the internship, based on the internship requirements listed below:
|Qualifications required or their equivalents||University degree or higher||Polytechnic diploma or professional qualification||ITE or equivalent|
|Estimated monthly training allowance1||$ 1,800 – $ 2,500||$ 1,300 – $ 1,800||$ 1,100 – $ 1,500|
1The estimated monthly training allowance for each qualification is tied to 50-70% of the median starting salary.
In order to be eligible, the trainees must be Singapore citizens or permanent residents who have completed or graduated from ITE, Polytechnics, universities or other educational institutions (e.g. private universities and foreign institutions) in calendar year 2019 or 2020.
Young men who graduated earlier but have completed national service in 2019 or 2020 can also apply.
"We are pleased that despite difficult business conditions during the COVID 19 outbreak, many large and small companies have joined the SGUnited Traineeships Program," said Tan Choon Shian, CEO of WSG.
"With these companies participating as hosting companies, our new graduates can use this internship to prepare for later recovery and we can be more certain that our Singapore workforce is robust, robust and ready to recover . "
Eligible job seekers who want to apply for SGUnited traineeships can visit MyCareersFuture and search for internship opportunities under the hashtag #SGUnitedTraineeships. You can also explore other job openings at MyCareersFuture.
NUS offers 200 full-time roles and 800 internships
Singapore's leading public university, NUS, offers its graduates 200 full-time positions and 800 paid internships.
The full-time positions would be distributed among the central administration of the NIS, its 17 faculties and schools, 29 research institutes and centers as well as the national university health system.
The internship opportunities last up to 12 months and are divided into four areas: Executive and Professional, Education, Research and Entrepreneurship.
They have personalized mentoring and development plans and are open to bachelor, master and doctoral students.
NUS added that all trainees can also take part in a series of training courses free of charge.
The university also said that graduates enrolling in their master’s programs can postpone paying course fees up to three years after enrollment without paying interest.
Selected image source: Graduates from SIT-DigiPen (Singapore) / SIT-DigiPen (Singapore)