Beijing / Wuhan:
Beijing on Friday decided to lower its COVID-19 emergency response, marking the return of normalcy to China's capital after the coronavirus outbreak, while downtown Wuhan, the source of the pandemic, has resolved all confirmed cases.
Wuhan had no cases of the virus after testing 10 million people.
The city of Beijing will reduce its emergency response to the novel coronavirus epidemic from stage two to stage three on Saturday, a local official said on Friday.
On May 17, the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control stated that it was not necessary to wear masks.
On Friday, the Beijing city government announced that the city would lift restrictions on the purchase of air and train tickets for people from the central province of Hubei, including those from the provincial capital of Wuhan, other than those from medium and high risk areas.
Beijing residential complexes no longer have to measure people's temperatures, although registration is still required, Chen Bei, deputy general secretary of the Beijing city government, told the media.
In the tourism sector, Beijing will allow domestic group travel under reasonable conditions, with the exception of tours from medium and high risk areas.
Incoming and outgoing group trips are suspended.
Parks, sights and public interiors allow more visitors under strict prevention and control measures.
Some events, such as conferences, exhibitions, sports games, and entertainment shows, can be held under certain restrictions, according to the city government.
Schools can properly resume classes and no masks are required for outdoor activities.
Wuhan, the capital of Hubei Province, cleared all confirmed COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the province's health commission said on Friday.
The last three COVID-19 patients in the province had been cured by Thursday, the state news agency Xinhua reported.
No new asymptomatic cases were reported on Thursday, while 217 asymptomatic cases were still under medical supervision.
Asymptomatic cases, also known as silent shakers, are a problem because patients are positive for COVID-19 but do not develop symptoms such as fever, cough, or sore throat.
Hubei reported a total of 68,135 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 4,512 deaths.
According to China's National Health Commission (NHC), five imported cases were reported in the country on Thursday, including four in Shanghai and one in Sichuan Province.
Three new asymptomatic cases have also been reported, bringing the total number of such cases under medical supervision to 297, the NHC said.
By Thursday, the total number of confirmed cases on the mainland reached 83,027, including 66 patients who were still being treated and 78,327 people who had been discharged after their recovery.
A total of 4,634 people have died from the disease, the NHC said.
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)