Canada will no longer take over the security registers to protect Prince Harry and his wife Meghan from March, the office of Minister of Public Security Bill Blair said on Thursday.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been living part-time in a seaside mansion in the westernmost province of British Columbia since November.
Last month they made a shock out of life as working royals.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police has offered security to the couple in this country as part of the internationally protected convention of persons.
But that will end "in the coming weeks in line with their status change," it said in a statement.
Canadians greeted the royal runaways. Local monarchists interviewed by AFP are thrilled, while tourism groups are even more dizzying about the prospects of drawing global attention to the couple.
However, a recent survey found that 77 percent of Canadian taxpayers were not interested in paying their security costs.
(This story was not edited by NDTV staff and is generated automatically from a syndicated feed.)