Iran announced on Saturday that 139 more people have died from the novel corona virus, bringing the official death toll in one of the worst affected countries in the world to 2,517.
Ministry of Health spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour told a press conference that 3,076 additional cases had been confirmed in the past 24 hours, increasing the total number of infections to 35,408.
"The condition of 3,026 hospital inmates is critical in one way or another," he said, adding that 11,679 patients have recovered and have been discharged from the hospital.
Jahanpour said 57 million Iranians had been screened for the virus.
He said the data obtained was "significant" and helped with early detection and intervention.
Iran has introduced stringent new containment measures after weeks of public appeals have not prevented hundreds of thousands from taking to the streets to visit the family for the Persian New Year holidays.
This includes a ban on intercity traffic on the street with offenders across the street, as well as the fine and seizure of cars from violations.
The restrictions, which remain in effect until April 8, include a ban on all cross-country trips on the road.
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)