Beijing / Wuhan:
The number of COVID-19 patients admitted to hospital in China's Wuhan, where the virus first appeared before it turned out to be a pandemic, dropped to zero on Sunday, marking another milestone for the city on April 8 thereafter A 76-day ban was opened.
The result was achieved with the "hard efforts of Wuhan medical workers" and those deployed to help the city fight the virus from across the country, said Mi Feng, a spokesman for the Chinese National Health Commission (NHC). . .
The last patient in Wuhan was cured on Friday, which reduced the number of coronavirus patients in the city to zero, Mi said, the state-run Xinhua news agency said.
The Hubei Province Health Commission, whose capital is Wuhan, said no new confirmed cases or new deaths from COVID-19 were reported on Saturday.
Eleven coronavirus patients are said to have been discharged from hospital in Wuhan after their recovery.
Hubei has reported 68,128 confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 50,333 in Wuhan.
Hubei and Wuhan had been in the middle of the coronavirus outbreak since early January this year and bore the brunt of it.
China officially said the coronavirus was discovered in Wuhan in late December, but announced stringent measures such as blocking the 56 million-strong province starting on January 23, criticized by the US and other countries for being late-acting, which has led to its worldwide spread.
There has been controversy over whether the virus with the ability to transmit from person to person has emerged from the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan or has escaped from the US-claimed Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV).
China has said that the origin of the corona virus is a question of science, and it should be left to science and the medical community to come to a conclusion.
China also revised the death toll in Wuhan by 50 percent, despite criticism that the cases are currently being reported.
The local government announced on April 16 that the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Wuhan increased by 325 to 50,333 and the number of deaths increased by 1,290 to 3,869.
The revised figure increased China's COVID-19 death toll to 4,632. The total number of cases was 82,692 on Thursday.
Chinese Foreign Ministry officials said the revision was due to some late reports, omissions, and inaccurate information in the early stages.
Officials said that more than five million people from Wuhan were leaving before the closure to take advantage of Chinese New Year holidays from January 24, which was cited as a possible reason for the virus to spread to China and the world.
China has highlighted the strong measures it has taken in Hubei, such as the continued closure, the construction of 14 provisional hospitals, and the use of 42,000 medical personnel to contain the virus.
The ban was lifted on April 8 after the virus cases had subsided.
The city of Wuhan, which has a population of 11 million, has not yet become quite normal due to the steady increase in asymptomatic cases.
By the end of Saturday, the province had 572 asymptomatic cases under medical supervision, after 19 new cases were reported on Saturday, the local health commission reported on Sunday.
Asymptomatic cases refer to people who have tested positive for the coronavirus but do not develop symptoms such as fever, cough or sore throat. They are contagious and run the risk of spreading the virus to others.
Worldwide, more than 200,000 people have died from the new corona virus, including more than 50,000 in the United States. It has infected almost three million people around the world.