(This is a sponsored article with Standard Chartered.)
In the past, we've looked forward to seasonal sales in physical stores for deals and discounts. That has changed a lot in the last few years. 11.11 is hardly behind us and we are already looking forward to 12.12 for the next big online sale.
With 51% of Malaysians now preferring to make payments online rather than in person, it makes sense to have a credit card that has been updated to suit a digital savvy crowd.
This is where the new Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card comes into play. Online shoppers, in particular, will appreciate the cashbacks and additional discounts you get for digital purchases.
1. Get cashback by spending online
Given the pandemic and the current situation, online shopping is the best and safest way to do your shopping.
Personally, I went back and forth to get a new camera.
I've been dreaming of this Ricoh GR III camera for a while
If you make purchases on online ecommerce platforms like Lazada, Zalora and Shopee using your credit card, you are eligible for one 30% cashback (maximum RM15 per month).
If you act fast, you can maximize your purchase with discounts from large daily sales like 11/11 or 12/12 and get cashback while you're at it. However, the cashback opportunities aren't just specific to ecommerce websites.
You can get one too 30% cashback If you also top up e-wallets such as Touch 'n Go, Boost and Grabpay with the card (maximum 15 RM per month).
2. Receive additional discounts on certain days
When shopping online, I spend a lot of time looking for additional coupon codes to use, usually with limited success.
The Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card simplifies work. All you have to do is wait for a specific day and then spend it to be eligible for one RM20 or RM30.
|Monday||Shopee||RM20 discount with at least RM150 spent via the Shopee app (use code: SCBMON)|
|Tuesday||Lazada||RM20 discount with at least RM150 via the Lazada app (use code: SCBTUE20)|
|Wednesday||Zalora||RM30 discount with at least RM150 in the Zalora app (use code: SCBDEALS)|
|Thursday||Watsons||RM30 discount with a minimum of RM150 at Watsons|
|Friday||Taobao||RM20 discount with at least RM150 for the Taobao app|
If I buy the camera that I saw at Shopee on a Monday with the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card, I am entitled to a discount of RM 20 plus a cashback of RM 15.
3. Get discounts and cashback when you get groceries online
Although many of us have played from home as chefs throughout our work, grocery deliveries have also become the norm.
Restaurants have estimated that their current earnings are now divided into 20% dine-ins / takeaways and 80% food delivery apps. Before MCO, that relationship was reversed, so it's clear that many of us have switched to ordering online.
If you're craving non-homemade food, you can also use the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card to get discounts and cashback when you order groceries from Dahmakan, DeliverEat, Domino & # 39; s Pizza, Foodpanda and Hungry2u.com.
Here is a quick table of what you can get:
|service||Cashback + discount|
|dahmakan||• Get 30% cashback with at least RM50
• 30% discount on the total bill for new users only (use code: DAHSCB30)
• 15% discount on the total bill for existing users (use code: DAHSCB15)
|DeliverEat||• 30% cashback with at least RM50|
|Dominos pizza||• 30% cashback with at least RM50
• Special offer – RM55 for 1 large pizza (extra cheese) + 1 normal pizza (extra cheese) + 1 bread side + 1 Crazy Chicken Crunchies (original / Tom Yam) + 1 bottle drink (use code: PSCB55)
|Food panda||• 30% cashback with at least RM50
• 50% discount for new users, maximum RM10 (use code: HELLOPANDA)
|Hungry2u.com||• 30% cashback with at least RM50
• RM5 cashback per month
The dahmakan salted egg butter chicken / Photo credit: Vulcan Post
4. Get cashback from your entertainment
As someone who spends monthly on subscription platforms and games, this card also entitles me to up to 6% cashback per month (limited to RM20) on multiple subscription or gaming platforms.
You will need to spend more than RM1,000 One month of retail purchases to get cashback from Netflix, Spotify, Astro, Steam, PlayStation, Joox and iQIYI.
You also don't have to use all platforms to get the cashback.
However, in months when many games are launched, it makes sense to use the card to buy upcoming games.
5. Get extra cash for other expenses with 0% interest
If you shop in a location that doesn't accept credit cards, you can still use the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card to your advantage by receiving a Check-On-Call Plus which gives you cash up to RM 15,000 0% interest rate, plus RM100 cashback if you apply before December 31, 2020.
This is especially useful for high quality purchases that offer an extra discount when you pay in cash.
- For more information on the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card, see Here. Note that a regular credit card will have some eligibility checks and you will need at least a minimum income of RM 36,000 per year.
- There is an annual fee of RM120 for the Standard Chartered Smart Credit Card. However, the first year is waived and the following years are waived with annual expenses of RM 12,000.
- Read more about what we previously wrote about Standard Chartered Here.
Selected image source: Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels