The UK government has introduced a new immigration system to control the influx of workers into the country and to replace existing regulations as of January 1, 2021 when Britain is no longer subject to European Union regulations.
Here are details of the point-based system that is used:
EU and non-EU workers are assessed using the same system to determine whether they can enter the country for work. There is no limit to the number of people who can qualify for the program.
The system allows workers whose salaries are below a fixed going rate (1) for their job or a general minimum of £ 25,600 ($ 33,310) to continue to qualify for entry if they have advanced qualifications in their field or want to work in this area an industry that lacks labor.
There are three binding criteria (a total of 50 points)
1. Have a job offer from an approved sponsor
2. The job offer corresponds to the required qualification level
3. Do you speak English
In addition to these mandatory criteria, applicants must earn enough points through three additional criteria:
1. Level of education
2. What is your salary compared to the current tariff for the area in which you want to work?
3. Is there a shortage of workers in their field?
To qualify for participation, an applicant must score at least 70 points. The points are awarded as follows:
Job offer of the approved sponsor 20
Job at an appropriate qualification level 20
Speaks English at the required level 10
Above the usual rate (1) for the cast or 20 over £ 25,600 (2) (whichever is higher)
Up to 10% below the current rate or up to 10 10% below £ 25,600 (whichever is higher)
10-20% below the current rate or 10-20% 0 below 25,600 pounds (whichever is higher)
Work in a shortage occupation (3) 20
Educational qualification: Doctorate in professionally relevant subject 10
Qualification: Doctorate in a professionally relevant MINT 20 (4) subject
The government said in a strategy paper that other criteria such as age or experience could be added as the system developed.
(1) The "Going Rate" is a job-specific salary threshold. The government's Migration Advisory Board recommended that this be set at the 25th percentile of the annual full-time earnings distribution for this profession. Some industries will apply different measures.
(2) £ 25,600 is the general salary threshold
(3) Deficiency occupations are determined by the Migration Advisory Board.
(4) Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)