A 32-year-old Indian from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was severely burned when trying to save his wife from a fire in her apartment in Umm Al Quwain, Dubai, the police said on Wednesday.
Anil Ninan has been burned 90 percent and is fighting for his life at Abu Dhabi Mafraq Hospital, a close relative told the Khaleej Times.
"Doctors said his condition was very critical. We all pray for him," said July, Anil Ninan's relative, who is in the hospital.
His wife Neenu is also admitted to the same hospital, but her condition is said to be stable.
"She is fine. She has only 10 percent burns and is recovering," said the relative.
The Keralite couple have a 4 year old son.
The accident happened on Monday evening and it is believed that the fire was caused by a short circuit in the control box located in the corridor of the Umm Al Quwain apartment. The couple were taken to the Sheikh Khalifa hospital in Umm al Quwain on Monday evening and transferred to the Mafraq hospital in Abu Dhabi for critical care on Tuesday. said Khlaeej Times.
"We don't know the exact details. But Neenu caught fire for the first time when she was in the corridor. Anil, who was in the bedroom, ran to his wife and tried to save her when the flames spread to him," the said Pastor had known the couple for more than a year.
"They are very religious and come to our church every week. We all pray for Anil."