Iran said on Tuesday that the number of lives lost in the country as a result of the novel corona virus had dropped double-digit for the first time in a month.
Ministry of Health spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said 98 deaths from COVID-19 disease have been recorded in the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 4,683.
"Unfortunately, we have lost 98 of our compatriots infected with the disease … but after a month of waiting, this is the first day that the number of deaths has been in double digits," he told a televised press conference.
"We hope this path will continue with your ongoing collaboration," he added, following the health guidelines that aim to stop the virus from spreading.
According to Jahanpour, a further 1,574 people were infected with the virus.
The total number of infections in the outbreak of Iran rose to 74,877. 48,129 of the people in the hospital had recovered and had been released.
President Hassan Rouhani's government has been trying to contain the outbreak that started almost two months ago.
It has closed schools and universities, postponed major events, and imposed a number of other restrictions, but it has stopped ordering locks.
Iran announced its first COVID-19 cases on February 19, the death of two people in the Shiite holy city of Qom.
Abroad, however, it was speculated that the actual number of diseases in the Islamic Republic could be higher.
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)