Fifty-six years after Malcolm X's death, attorneys uncover new evidence of a conspiracy committed by the NYPD and the FBI to assassinate the Harlem civil rights leader.
According to New York's ABC 7, Ray Wood, who was an undercover officer at the time, wrote a deathbed letter confessing that the NYPD and the FBI had conspired to kill Malcolm. His family and their lawyer now claim.
In February 1965, Malcolm was shot dead while giving a lecture in Harlem. Wood's family said in Wood's letter that he was responsible for ensuring the activist's security detail but was arrested days before the attack.
The letter goes on to say that the move would guarantee Malcolm X that he would not have door security in the Audubon Ballroom where he was killed.
RELATED: Malcolm X's Murder Case Could Reopen Thanks To A New Documentary
Civil rights attorney Ben Crump was kept by Malcolm's three daughters and Wood's family. They are calling for the murder investigation to be reopened in the face of new evidence.
"So we're trying to talk about restorative justice as attorneys – try to pursue relentless justice," said attorney Ray Hamlin. "On behalf of the legacy of Malcolm X, Dr. Betty Shabazz, on behalf of his family line that is here."
Three members of the Nation of Islam were convicted of the murder of Malcolm X. Last year, the Manhattan Attorney's Office began a review of these convictions after meeting officials from the Innocence Project.
The DA Office now says that the review of this matter is active and ongoing in light of the new evidence.
The NYPD also released a statement on Saturday with the reading: "A few months ago the Manhattan District Attorney opened a review of the investigation and prosecution that resulted in two convictions for the Malcom X murder. The NYPD has submitted all available records relevant to this case to the District Attorney. The department continues to seek to assist in this review in any way. "