China reported more than 50 imported cases of corona virus on Friday, hours after an entry ban for foreigners was announced.
In the past few weeks, China's infection rate has dropped dramatically, with only a handful of domestic patients a day.
But just as the country appears to be controlling the outbreak, nations around the world are struggling to control the increasing number of infections at new hotspots.
According to the National Health Commission, there were another 55 new infections with a local infection and 54 cases imported from overseas in China on Friday.
Beijing has tried to control the number of infections brought into the country – mainly Chinese nationals returning home overseas, including a large number of overseas students.
On Thursday, Beijing announced dramatic measures to curb arrival in the country, including reducing the number of international flights, limiting on-board capacity to 75 percent, and banning foreigners from entering China.
Foreigners living in China with valid visas and residence permits are prevented from returning to the country after midnight on Friday evening, the State Department said.
The ministry said it was a "temporary measure that China needs to take in the face of the outbreak situation."
Diplomats and the crew of international airlines and ships are still allowed to enter.
Flights inside and outside of China are also limited to one route per week to each country, including for international airlines.
The number of cases brought to China from abroad rose to 595 on Friday, health officials said.
A number of stringent measures have already been taken to contain the incoming wave of infections.
All international flights to Beijing have been diverted to other urban centers, where passengers are first screened for the virus.
Many Chinese cities, including Beijing and Shanghai, have imposed a mandatory 14-day quarantine on all arrivals from abroad.
Almost 1,100 international passenger flights to China were planned this week.
According to the National Health Commission, there were another five deaths on Friday – all in Hubei province, where the virus first appeared at the end of last year.
A total of 81,340 people were infected in China, and 3,292 people were killed in the outbreak.
Hubei lifted travel restrictions this week after being banned for two months. In other countries in the country, however, there is still fear of recovery, although only healthy people are allowed to leave the province.
The Jiangxi traffic police reportedly blocked people trying to enter the province from neighboring Hubei on Friday.
Videos posted on China's Twitter-like platform Weibo allegedly showed dozens of people clashing with the police on a provincial bridge.
Other images showed people trying to overturn a vehicle.
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)