Prince Harry and his wife Meghan may be banned from using the "Sussex Royal" label after withdrawing from the fronts, reports said Wednesday.
The couple use the name for their popular Instagram account and a website that was set up after the shock was announced last month. They also made dozens of trademark registrations for different products.
But the future of using the title "had to be checked" and the talks continued. An unnamed royal source has been quoted by the British press agency Press Association.
"As the Duke and Duchess of Sussex step down as senior members of the royal family and will work towards financial independence, the use of the word" royal "in this context has had to be reviewed," said the source.
The Daily Mail newspaper reported on Wednesday that senior officials had already agreed that it would no longer be "tenable" for the couple to keep the word "royal" in their branding.
Harry and Meghan have been living with their little son Archie in a luxury villa on Canada's Pacific west coast since New Year.
Buckingham Palace said that her life outside of royal duties would begin within months.
In the meantime, the National Theater, whose patron is Meghan Markle, has denied claims that it is upset with the couple's decision to move to Canada.
Its artistic director Rufus Norris told the Daily Telegraph that Meghan's patronage should be "business as usual" and reports to the contrary were "a complete fiction."
Harry and Meghan first used the name Sussex Royal when they started their own household after parting with Brother Prince William.
Harry said in October that he and his brother were on "different paths."
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)