Singapore reported two coronavirus-related deaths in people with health problems on Saturday. This was the first death in the city state's widely acclaimed fight against infection.
The health ministry said a 75-year-old Singaporean and a 64-year-old Indonesian died on Saturday morning.
Singapore has confirmed 385 cases of infection and has managed to avoid deaths since the outbreak began in the city-state in late January.
"I know that Singaporeans will be worried and scared, but we have to take courage and not give in to our fears," Gan Kim Yong, Singapore's health minister, told reporters.
By Friday, 131 cases from a total of Singapore had fully recovered from the infection.
The late Singaporean woman has had chronic heart disease and high blood pressure in the past.
She had been in intensive care for 26 days. Before the Indonesian arrived in Singapore on March 13, he had been hospitalized for pneumonia in Indonesia and had a history of heart disease.
He died in the intensive care unit in Singapore after nine days.
Singapore has stepped up its social distancing efforts, including suspending all gatherings of 250 or more people and recommending companies to ask employees to work from home. Everyone, including citizens and residents entering the country, must quarantine themselves for 14 days.
She also advised her citizens not to travel outside the city-state.
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)