Singapore's Government Technology Agency (GovTech) announced today that it will expire the SingPass token for physical security by March 31 next year due to "low usage".
OneKey tokens will no longer be issued or replaced as of October 1, and users will no longer be able to use them to access digital services as of April 1 of next year.
The OneKey token is currently used to enable users to securely log on to SingPass. However, many use other secure access methods.
As the token key expires, the SingPass mobile app has great appeal and continues to attract over a million users to date.
Over 98 percent of all login methods are carried out via the app or via SMS authentication, and the remaining 2 percent use the token.
Why you should download the SingPass app
With the exit, GovTech urges users to set up their SingPass app for mobile devices if they have not already done so. If you need further help, you can visit one of the 46 SingPass counters across the island.
It also said it will work closely with the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) and the People’s Association to help Singaporeans during the transition.
Singaporeans can sign up for courses at select community clubs or centers and IMDA's Silver Infocomm Junctions to learn how to use the SingPass mobile app.
The SingPass app, launched in October 2018, uses fingerprint, face recognition or a six-digit passcode as part of two-factor authentication.
You will then have access to government digital services from over 60 agencies, as well as selected private sector services such as NTUC Income, NTUC U, AIA, Manulife, Prudential and the grant portal on the Singapore National Employers Federation website.
Other private sector organizations will use SingPass login for mobile apps next year.
Singaporean citizens with phones that cannot download apps can still set up SingPass and use SMS as two-factor authentication to continue accessing online services.
"We have been encouraged by the strong support so far and will do more to promote the use of the app so that more users can easily and conveniently conduct online transactions with the government and the private sector," said Kok Ping Soon, CEO of GovTech.
"We will also work with our partner agencies to make it easier for more citizens to use SingPass Mobile and continue to find new solutions that ensure security and convenience for our citizens."
Selected image source: Deekay Dot SG