A group of 35 coronavirus cases related to a wedding near Sydney and new government measures have hit Australia's multi-billion dollar wedding industry and forced many tearful couples to cancel the big day.
Restrictions on gatherings of more than 100 people were announced this week to curb the spread of the virus.
The new rules included the stipulation that indoor events should allow at least four square meters per person, while the government advised people to stay at least one meter apart.
The outbreak and new rules have left the wedding industry in the balance – with an annual value of around $ 4 billion ($ 2.3 billion) in Australia.
"It's not just about canceling an event … people have literally dreamed and thought about," Sydney-based wedding planner Lara Beesley told AFP on Saturday.
"It is very heartbreaking to see and there have been many tearful phone calls."
From florists to photographers, workers in the industry were already feeling the effects as weddings were postponed indefinitely, she added.
A total of 35 cases of the virus have now been attributed to the wedding south of Sydney earlier this month, health officials said.
Groom Scott Maggs told the Sydney Morning Herald that the discovery of a cluster related to his wedding was a shock.
"There was no hysteria or ban on March 6, it just wasn't on the radar," he said.
Couples are encouraged to reschedule or host smaller events, said Elise James of the wedding planning agency Easy Weddings. "We encourage couples to do this where it is safe," she said.
Australia's confirmed cases rose to over 900 on Saturday, with seven deaths occurring in the country since the outbreak began.